If You’re from a War-Torn Country, You May Be Eligible for Temporary Protected Status

The Department of Homeland Security designates certain countries for Temporary Protected Status, often referred to as TPS, when those countries are in the midst of a war or natural disaster. That means that if you’re from a war-torn country, you could receive TPS benefits, including employment authorization, protection from deportation, and travel authorization.

An Experienced Immigration Lawyer at Luis F. Hess, PLLC could help you get TPS Relief

To benefit from the TPS designation, you must demonstrate that you meet the qualifications. The dedicated immigration team at Luis F. Hess, PLLC is ready to help document your eligibility so that you can receive all available benefits from TPS status.

Understanding TPS

The Department of Homeland Security designates countries for TPS when officials determine that temporary conditions in the country make it unsafe for nationals to return. These conditions could include wars and other armed conflicts, environmental disasters such as hurricanes, epidemics, or other extraordinary circumstances and temporary conditions.

When a country is designated for TPS, then nationals from that country, as well as individuals with no nationality who last lived in that country, can apply for TPS relief if they are already located in the United States at the time of the designation. If someone is granted TPS relief, they cannot be detained based on immigration status during the period when TPS is in effect.

TPS relief is temporary and does not, on its own, provide individuals with immigration status. However, someone who registers for TPS can still apply for immigrant status or other benefits and protections if they meet the qualifications.

Who is Eligible to Register for TPS?

Understanding who is eligible for TPS can be confusing. The program is temporary and has limited eligibility periods, although in some cases eligibility is extended by court action.

Generally, the requirements to seek TPS relief include:

  • You must be from a country designated for TPS
  • You must register during the registration periods designated by authorities
  • You must have been continuously present in the U.S. since the effective date of the most recent designation of your country
  • You must have continuously resided in the U.S. since the date specified for your country. 
  • You must not have committed an act that makes you ineligible for TPS relief

Individuals are not eligible for TPS if they have been convicted of a felony or two misdemeanors in the U.S., are considered inadmissible because of actions such as criminal or terrorist activity, or if they don’t meet the physical presence and residence requirements. Additionally, if someone is granted TPS and fails to re-register without good cause, they may not be eligible for continued relief in the future.

An Immigration Attorney Can Help You File for TPS

When you file for TPS relief, you need to show not only that you qualify, but also that there are no valid grounds that would prevent you from qualifying. This can be a challenge, so many applicants choose to work with an experienced immigration lawyer in the process.

At the law office of Luis F. Hess, PLLC, we can help you register or re-register for TPS so that you can remain in the U.S. legally, gain work authorization, and enjoy other benefits. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.