B-2 Pleasure Tourist Visa

B-2 Visa Attorney in The Woodlands, Texas

Entering the US Through a B-2 Visa

For a person of a different nationality, submitting immigration forms to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS Office) is both a thrilling and stressful experience. To avoid immigration issues, you must fill out all USCIS forms correctly. Equally important is basic knowledge of the different types of visas and which one applies to you. Consult with our B-2 visa attorney in The Woodlands, TX today!

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay or an immigrant visa for eventual permanent residence. A hardworking and experienced The Woodlands B-2 visa lawyer can explain the different visa types in more detail.

Luis F. Hess is an attorney who diligently advocates for clients who aspire to reside in and stay in the United States. The desire to move to a new country and start a new life is admirable, so make sure that you do not commit crucial errors. Call (281) 984-5294 and avail of quality legal assistance.

US Visas and Immigration Laws

American immigration lawyers work with people from essentially all walks of life. Cases could involve a US citizen with questions about a fiance visa, a foreign national proceeding with a green card application, or a family who wants to visit the United States for pleasure or tourism. The immigration process involved, however, can be pretty confusing,

The majority of people with immigration concerns decide to seek prompt legal assistance, and rightly so. Due to the nature of US immigration laws, seemingly minor errors could have serious consequences. Certain mistakes could even lead to deportation to your home country.

Unless you are a citizen of a visa waiver country, you must first apply for a B-2 pleasure tourist visa before you can enter the United States for tourism or medical purposes. Here, an experienced Texas B-2 visa attorney from Luis F. Hess, PLLC, can help you through every step of the way.

What are Non-Immigrant Visas?

Individuals of a different nationality who wish to pass through a port of entry to the United States may apply for nonimmigrant visas. Under relevant immigration policy, a non-immigrant visa is generally not helpful in immigrating, obtaining permanent residency, or applying for citizenship in the country. They have a set expiration and must be used only for specific purposes.

A B visa is one type of non-immigrant visa issued by the United States government to foreign nationals who wish to enter the country for a temporary period. Visitor visas for individuals who want to enter the US temporarily may apply for visa category B-1 (business), visa category B-2 (tourism), or visa category B-1/B-2 (a combination of both purposes).

Although the B category visa is generally not applicable for those who intend to study in the US, a short non-degree course of study incidental to a trip is allowable. Call (281) 984-5294 to schedule a consultation and learn more about these things.

What Are the Different Visa Types Under the B Visa Category?

More than 75% of all non-immigrants admitted to the United States annually are B visa holders.

B-1 Business Visa

In general, a B-1 visa is granted to a foreigner who can prove that they are entering the country for a legitimate commercial or business activity. This would often range from attending business meetings or scientific conferences to negotiating a contract or settling an estate.

B-2 Pleasure Visa

The B-2 visa is primarily granted to foreigners for tourism, amusement, recreational activities, and visits to relatives and friends in the United States. Also included here are those seeking medical treatment in the country.

B-1/B-2 Visa Renewal/ Extension or Change of Status

The validity period of a tourist pleasure visa will depend on your country of nationality. However, B-2 tourists are generally admitted for six months. If you are a B-1 or B-2 visa holder and need to extend your stay due to an educational opportunity or further business, you can apply for an extension by filing a Form I-539.

It is essential to remember that B-2 visa holders who remain in the United States longer than authorized could face removal proceedings and be barred from the United States. Seek legal advice from a credible The Woodlands immigration attorney to make sure that this will not happen. Luis F. Hess, PLLC, is located in Shenandoah, Texas, just north of The Woodlands.

How Do I Qualify for a B-2 Visa?

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, a visitor visa applicant is presumed to have immigrant intent. However, as mentioned, a B-2 visa is not to be used to apply for a green card and obtain lawful permanent resident status.

To qualify for a B-2 tourist visa, an applicant must prove to the immigration officer that they have no plans of immigrating to the United States. This can be established by showing that:

  • The planned stay in the country is temporary.
  • There are sufficient funds to cover all related expenses.
  • There are strong social and economic ties to the home country.

A tourist visa will not be issued for birth tourism or visa applicants whose primary purpose is to give birth in the country to obtain United States citizenship for the child. It is also generally not applicable for those arriving as a crew member on a ship or aircraft, those working as foreign press (print, radio, film, or other media), or those part of paid performances or any professional engagements before a paying audience.

Before proceeding, make sure you understand these things very clearly. Call (281) 984-5294 and avail of reliable legal services from a hardworking B-2 visa attorney in The Woodlands, TX.

Filing Your B-2 Visa Application

US visitor visas should generally be applied for at the embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over the place of the applicant’s permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any consular office abroad, it is usually more challenging to qualify for visas outside one’s home country.

In most cases, one’s chances of getting a visa are higher if:

  • The planned trip is short.
  • The itinerary is listed.
  • The applicant has a stable job in their country.
  • It can be established that they have enough funds to cover their trip expenses.

Grounds for Approval

When deciding whether or not to grant a tourist visa request, the consular or USCIS officer will specifically look into the following things:

  • The applicant has binding ties (such as a residence) outside the United States, which will establish their return to his home country at the end of the visit.
  • The applicant has realistic and specific plans for the entire period of the planned temporary stay.
  • The applicant has adequate funds to cover all expenses for the trip, including their stay and return trip, as shown in various documentation.

Given the grounds above, it is essential to know what supporting documents you will need for your petition. Speak to a trusted The Woodlands, TX B-2 visa attorney to ensure that you do not miss any crucial paperwork. Call or send us a message at Luis F. Hess, PLLC today.

Extensions and Duration of Stay

Applying for a visa does not, in any way, guarantee successful entry into the United States. Immigration authorities have the authority to determine the period for which a pleasure tourist visa holder may remain in the country. Additionally, they have the right to deny admission to the United States. In fact, denial is always a possibility.

Visa Extension

B-2 tourists who remain in the United States longer than the period that they are authorized to do so will likely face complicated legal proceedings. They may be barred from returning and may be removed from the United States.

A B-2 tourist visa holder who wishes to stay beyond the period indicated on Form I-94 without leaving the United States must file Form I-539 – Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. This, together with any required supporting documents, must be promptly submitted to the USCIS. You may extend a pleasure tourist visa in increments of not more than six months.

Change of Status

Depending on the actual circumstances, tourists on a B-2 visa may request a change of nonimmigrant status while in the United States. This is primarily done by filing Form I-539 – Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status with the USCIS.

In general, a foreign national may apply to change their nonimmigrant status if:

  • They have not committed any crimes that would make them ineligible
  • They were lawfully admitted to the United States with a nonimmigrant visa
  • Their nonimmigrant status remains valid
  • They did not violate the conditions of their status

If you have any questions related to this legal process, it is best to seek legal advice from knowledgeable and reliable The Woodlands B-2 visa attorney early on. Call (281) 984-5294 today.

Why You Need the Help of a Reliable B-2 Visa Attorney

The application process for a B-2 tourist visa can be seen as two broad phases:

  1. Prepare and submit DS-160 – Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  2. Attend an immigration interview at an embassy or consulate of the United States

The actual process, however, is not as simple as it seems. Tourist visa applications may be rejected or denied for failure to submit sufficient evidence, which you must file with the initial application. In general, B-2 tourist visa applicants are required to prepare:

  • Form DS-160 – Nonimmigrant Visa Application 
  • Payment receipt of application fee
  • Passport
  • Documentation related to the purpose of the trip
  • Documentation of an intent to depart the United States after the trip
  • Documentation of an ability to pay all related expenses

A law office specializing in visa applications can help you as you prepare necessary USCIS forms and paperwork. Extensive experience in these cases is essential to make sure that you properly navigate the various components of immigration rules. Luis F. Hess takes cases throughout Montgomery County and Harris County, TX. He represents Conroe, Shenandoah, The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, and the surrounding areas. Contact us to know how we can help.

Consult a Texas B-2 Visa Attorney Today!

There are different types of visas appropriate for different circumstances. If you have any legal questions related to employment-based immigration, family-based immigration, consular processing, adjustment of status, conditional green cards, or removal of conditions, contact our Texas immigration law firm today.

Contact us at Luis F. Hess, PLLC, to consult with an experienced B-2 visa attorney in The Woodlands, TX today.