Luis F. Hess
What I have learned in life is that success, however you define it, is not the result of a random series of events. It begins with a dream, a goal, or an ambition and it ends with self-guided results. More importantly, the bridge that connects a person’s wants or desires to the final result is linked by grit, determination, or perseverance. It is these internal characteristics that I most admire in people and why I choose to work with these types of clients on a daily basis.
I am the son of immigrants and one of the first to be born in the United States. English was not my first language. While I had many advantages to growing up in America vis-a-vis a loving family, I was not born into a family with wealth nor political connections that gave me a leg-up in starting a business from scratch.
In the same way, I thoroughly enjoy working with other individuals who want to become an American, start a company, or grow a business. Why? Because all of these actions require trusting in one’s self and knowing that their goal can only be achieved through perseverance and internal grit.
As the managing partner of the firm, I am a seasoned attorney with past experiences working in the US Air Force JAG Corps, in-house counsel at Sisters of Mercy Health System, the USDA legal department, and other private law firms.
Before and after completing my law degree, I served as a college instructor and adjunct professor. My practice is focused on helping clients achieve their goals related to immigration law, real estate law, civil law and business law.
- Admitted to practice in Texas
- Admitted to practice in Missouri
- Juris Doctor with a Certificate in Health Law, Saint Louis University
- Master of Arts in International Relations with a Specialization in Statistical Methodology, University of Arizona, Graduated Summa Cum Laude
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, Political Science, and Economics, Saint Louis University, Graduated Summa Cum Laude
Foreign Language Training
- Mandarin Chinese from Sprachcaffe International in Beijing, China
- Spanish at the Universidad de Guadalajara in Guadalajara, Mexico
- Spanish at the Madrid-SLU Program in Madrid, Spain
Publications and Presentations
- “Immigration Compliance.” The 16th Employment Law Update. The Woodlands Chamber of Commerce (2012).
- Chapter on “Reverse Mortgages and Foreclosures in Missouri.” Missouri Bar CLE, Elder Law (2010).
- “Event History Analysis: A New I.D.E.A. and a New Approach to Diversionary Theory.” American Political Science Association Conference. Chicago, Illinois (2007)
- “Rational Actors: Do Political Leaders React or Anticipate Changes in Public Opinion?” Western Political Science Association Conference. Albuquerque, New Mexico (2006).
- “From Promises to Policy: An Examination of How Presidents Achieve Success in Presidential-Sponsored Legislation.” Penn State McNair Research Conference. University Park, Pennsylvania (2004).
- The Woodlands Bar Association – Board of Directors and Member
- Asociacion de Empresarios Mexicanos
- Montgomery County Hispanic Chamber
- Houston Young Lawyers Association – Night Court Member
- State Bar of Texas: Business Law, Construction Law, and Corporate Counsel Section Member
- Knights of Columbus
- St. Anthony of Padua Church Member