Green Card for Parents

U.S. citizens can help their parents get a green card to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. However, it is essential to fulfill the requirements properly. Mistakes could result in delays or even denials. If a mistake looks like an attempt to provide fraudulent information, it can be very difficult to succeed with future immigration efforts.

Working with an experienced immigration attorney at Luis F. Hess PLLC enables you to avoid those kinds of costly mistakes. Our team is dedicated to helping you every step of the way to reach your goals.

Petitioning is the First Step

The first formal step toward obtaining a green card for parents is to file the appropriate petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You must be at least 21-years-old and a U.S. citizen in order to file.

In addition to the form itself, you will need to submit supporting documentation, which varies according to circumstances such as where your parents are located, whether they were legally married at the time of your birth, and whether any party involved has had a legal name change. For instance, if you were adopted, you will need copies of the adoption certificate and evidence of the dates and places you lived with your parents.

USCIS will review the materials and may ask for additional information. It is crucial to ensure that the agency is able to contact you, and that if you receive communication that you respond promptly to avoid having your application set aside or denied.

Options for the Second Step in the Process of Getting a Green Card for Parents

Once USCIS approves an immigration petition, the next step is to apply for an immigrant visa or to adjust immigration status to permanent resident. Generally, if your parents are located in the U.S., they would file for Adjustment of Status and if they are outside the U.S., they apply for a visa which is processed through the State Department and the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where you parents reside.

A knowledgeable immigration lawyer could help you determine which process makes most sense in light of current processing times and your circumstances. Sometimes it is advisable to file an Adjustment of Status before the immigration petition has been approved.

Regardless of the process, the qualifications remain the same. The applicant must provide evidence to support the validity of information in the application, supply required biometric data, and undergo a medical exam and interview. An attorney can help prepare for the interview and can attend if assistance is needed, such as to explain issues on the record that could make the applicant inadmissible by the strict U.S. immigration standards.

Learn How the Immigration Attorneys at Luis F. Hess PLLC Could Help Obtain a Green Card

While a green card provides many opportunities, the process of applying can be a challenge. Mistakes can cause your family to remain separated indefinitely. Working with an experienced immigration lawyer is one way to ensure that the process succeeds with as few delays as possible.

Contact the law office of Luis F. Hess PLLC today to find out how our dedicated immigration team can help you obtain a green card for parents.