Madrid Immigration Attorney

Madrid is the capital of Spain and located on the River Manzanares. It’s one of the largest cities in the European Union, smaller than only Berlin and London. In 2017, the city of Madrid reported to have a population of 3.2 million. The metropolitan area surrounding Madrid is even denser with an approximate population of 6.5 million. It’s a bustling economic hub, but it’s not uncommon for its residents to immigrate to the United States. Our Texas-based Madrid immigration attorney can help.

Some Madrid citizens immigrate for business-related reasons or to reunite with family members. Whatever the circumstances are, Luis F. Hess, PLLC can help you with the immigration process. Luis F. Hess is a knowledgeable attorney with years of experience in immigration law.

Madrid Immigration Lawyer in The Woodlands, Texas

If you or someone you know is wishing to pursue U.S. citizenship, it’s crucial you contact an experienced immigration attorney. One simple error could set you back months in the immigration process. Having a Madrid immigration attorney by your side can ensure your application is filled out correctly without any mistakes.

Contact Luis F. Hess today at (281) 306-5896 for a consultation. He has been practicing immigration law for years and can help you achieve your desired status.  Call now to discuss your legal options. We accept clients throughout the greater Montgomery County area including Panorama Village, Shenandoah, Oak Ridge North and Conroe.

Overview of U.S. Immigration Process for Madrid 

United States Immigration Statistics for Spain

The United States only allows a certain number of people to receive employment-based or family-preference visas. Each country is assigned a visa limit based on the number of visas available. While thousands are accepted, there are also thousands who are denied annually. Consult with a Madrid immigration attorney to find out which immigration path is right for you.

Listed below are some United States immigration statistics for Spain in 2017.

  • 1,127,167 were granted lawful permanent resident status;
  • 3,045 people from Spain were granted lawful permanent resident status;
  • 707,365 people were naturalized;
  • 1,469 people from Spain were naturalized;
  • 77,643,267 people were admitted with a nonimmigrant visa; and
  • 1,143,548 people from Spain were granted nonimmigrant visas.

Naturalization Process in the U.S.

A common path to citizenship is through a process called naturalization. If you have lived in the United States for five years, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization with a Form N-400. You can qualify for naturalization if you:

  • Are 18 years old or older;
  • Held a green card for five years;
  • Lived in the United States or the USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of residence for at least 3 months before applying;
  • Were physically in the United States for 30 continuous months out of the 5 years;
  • Can speak, write or read English;
  • Have a thorough understanding of U.S government and history; and
  • Are of good moral character and uphold the principles of the United States constitution

The United States provides multiple paths to naturalization. Our Madrid immigration attorney can help you determine if you qualify for citizenship. If you don’t meet the requirements above, you may be able to apply for naturalization through a family member or spouse. You can also qualify for naturalization through:

  • Your spouse if they served in the U.S armed forces and meet eligibility requirements;
  • Your spouse if they’re a U.S. citizen and you’ve been a green card holder for 3 years during the marriage; or
  • Your parent if they’re a U.S. citizen.

Employment-Based Immigration Process in the U.S.

If you wish to live in the United States for a work-related purpose, you may be interested in an employment-based (EB) visa. The U.S. provides EB visas for both permanent worker status and temporary worker status. The immigration process works on a preference system. This means some preferences will have a greater chance of obtaining a visa than others. Each preference has its own necessary forms, procedures and requirements for the applicant. Contact our Madrid immigration attorney to determine which preference category you can apply for.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a permanent EB visas.

  • First Preference (EB-1) – This preference is reserved for people with extraordinary abilities in science, athletics, education or business.
  • Second Preference (EB-2) – EB-2 visas are solely for people with advanced degrees or exceptional abilities in business, science or art.
  • Third Preference (EB-3) – People under this category are professionals, skilled workers and other workers.
  • Fourth Preference (EB-4) – Visas under EB-4 are reserved for special immigrant classifications such as religious workers, retired employees of international organizations, foreign minors who are wards of the U.S and foreign service post employees.
  • Fifth Preference (EB-5) – This category is saved for business investors who are interested in starting a new commercial enterprise, which has 10 full-time U.S. workers.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a temporary EB visas.

  • E-1 – Treaty Traders and qualified employees;
  • E2 – Treaty investors and qualified employees;
  • E-2C – Long-term foreign investors;
  • E3 – Certain specialty occupation professionals from Australia;
  • H-1B1 – Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation from Singapore/Chile;
  • H-1B2 – Certain specialty occupations for the Department of Defense Cooperative Research and Development projects or Co-production projects;
  • H-1B3 – Certain fashion models of distinguished ability and merit;
  • H-1C – Registered nurses if the U.S. Department of Labor determined a health professional shortage;
  • H-2A – Seasonal or temporary workers;
  • H-2B – Non-agricultural workers;
  • H-3 – Trainees other than medical and academic professions;
  • I – Representatives of foreign film, press, radio or other media;
  • L-1A – Intracompany transferees for either managerial or executive positions;
  • L-1B – Intracompany transferees with specialized knowledge;
  • O-1 – People with extraordinary abilities in science, art, education, athletics, motion picture, TV production or business;
  • O-2 – People coming to the U.S to solely help an O-1 nonimmigrant;
  • P-1A – Internationally famous athletes;
  • P-1B – Internationally famous entertainers or members of an internationally recognized entertainment group;
  • P-2 – Individual performer or part of a group entering the U.S for a reciprocal exchange program (student exchange programs);
  • P-3 – Entertainers or artists who are coming to the U.S to perform, teach or coach under a culturally unique program;
  • Q-1 -People participating in an international cultural exchange program so they can attain practical training, employment and to learn U.S. history, culture and traditions;
  • R-1 – Religious workers; or
  • TN – Professionals from Mexico and Canada

Family-Based Immigration Process in the U.S.

Many people choose to immigrate to the U.S. with a family-based visa. Family-preference visas allow you to have a family member “sponsor” you if they’re a U.S. citizen. Family-based visas are similar to EB visas because they work on a preference system. Each preference has its own procedures, paperwork and requirements for applicants. Our Madrid immigration attorney can help prepare your immigration application and paperwork.

Both you and your sponsor must meet eligibility requirements and file the appropriate paperwork to obtain a family-based visa. Your sponsor must file an I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative to the USCIS. They also must have proof of:

  • Their status as a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;
  • Your relationship as family through documentation such as a marriage license, divorce decree or birth certificate; and
  • Any relevant legal name changes if needed.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a family-based visas.

  • First Preference F-1 – Unmarried daughters and sons of U.S. citizens, and their minor children if any;
  • Second Preference F2A – Spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents;
  • Second Preference F2B – Unmarried daughters and sons who are at least 21 years old of lawful permanent residents.
  • Third Preference F3 – Married daughters and sons of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children; and
  • Fourth Preference F4 – Sisters and brothers of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children if the citizens are 21 years old or older.

U.S. Embassy in Madrid, Spain

If you wish to pursue U.S. citizenship, you may be required to visit your local U.S. embassy. The embassy represents many agencies of the United States government in Spain. They also provide visa services for Madrid citizens who qualify to immigrate to the United States.

You can locate the U.S. embassy in Madrid at:

Calle de Serrano, 75

28006 Madrid, Spain

Phone: (+34) 91-587-22000

Fax: (+34) 91-587-2303

Additional Resources

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) – Visit the official website of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to learn more about how to gain U.S. citizenship. Access the site to learn more about green cards, naturalization, immigration statistics and more.

U.S. Embassy Madrid – Visit the official website for the U.S Embassy and Consulate in Spain and Andorra to learn more about Madrid’s U.S. embassy. Access the site to learn the embassy’s services, who the key officers are, and their contact information.

Madrid Immigration Attorney in Montgomery County, Texas

If you or someone you know wishes to immigrate to the U.S., it’s crucial you contact an experienced immigration attorney. The United States immigration process can be overwhelming. It requires a lot of meticulous paperwork and time. Having an attorney on your side can expediate the process and ensure your application is filed correctly.

Contact Luis F. Hess for a skilled immigration attorney. He is passionate about helping others and has been practicing immigration law for years. Call Luis F. Hess, PLLC today at (281) 306-5896 to schedule a consultation. We accept clients throughout The Woodlands and surrounding areas including Shenandoah, Conroe, and Oak Ridge North.

Request Your Consultation
clio pay

Luis F. Hess

immigration attorney

As the managing partner of the firm, Luis F. Hess is a seasoned attorney with past experiences working in the US Air Force JAG Corps, in-house counsel at Sisters of Mercy Health System, the USDA legal department, and other private law firms...

The Truth for Immigrants Under Trump

Get a FREE copy of my book:

The EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program



Learn how you can get a green card through an investment!