Monterrey Immigration Attorney

The city of Monterrey is the largest metropolitan area in Mexico. It’s considered the country’s ninth-largest city with a population of approximately 1,100,000 people. With a booming economy, Monterrey residents tend to leave the country for international business endeavors. It’s not uncommon to see Monterrey residents seeking investment-based or employment-based visas in the U.S. Our Monterrey immigration attorney can help.

Monterrey is also only a 3-hour drive from the U.S. border. Many people also leave the Monterrey area to seek lawful permanent residence in the U.S. so they can start a new life, gain better employment or live with family. If you or someone you know is wishing to enter the U.S., it is imperative you contact an experienced attorney. An attorney can assess your situation, assist you with your application and inform you of the immigration process.

Attorney for Monterrey in Montgomery County, Texas

Do you want to immigrate from Mexico to the United States? Have you been overwhelmed by how confusing the U.S. immigration process is? If so, then contact Luis F. Hess, PLLC. Luis F. Hess is a practiced immigration attorney with years of experience helping clients navigate the immigration process.

Luis F. Hess, PLLC has an office located in The Woodlands, Texas and we also accept clients throughout the Montgomery County area including Conroe, Oak Ridge North, Panorama Village, and Shenandoah. Call us now at (281) 984-5294 to schedule a consultation with our Texas-based Monterrey immigration attorney today.

Overview of the U.S. Immigration Process for Monterrey

United States Immigration Statistics for Mexico

The United States only allows a certain number of people to enter the country annually. Only a certain number of family-sponsored and employment-based visas can be issued to foreign nationals each fiscal year. The U.S. has limits for issuing visas depending on the number of visas available that year. If you’re applying for a visa, make sure to consult with a skilled Monterrey immigration attorney.

Listed below are some United States immigration statistics for Mexico in 2017.

  • 77,643,267 people were admitted with a nonimmigrant visa;
  • 19,326,562 people from Mexico were admitted with a nonimmigrant visa
  • 707,365 people were naturalized;
  • 118,559 people from Mexico were naturalized;
  • 1,127,167 were granted lawful permanent resident status; and
  • 170,581 people from Mexico were granted lawful permanent resident status

Facing immigration concerns?

Whether you want to live in the US, get a US visa, bring your family, get employed, or legally stay in the country, our Shenandoah Immigration attorneys are here to help!

Citizenship Through Naturalization in the U.S.

Many people gain lawful permanent residence (LPR) status through naturalization. If you have lived in the United States for a certain period of time, you could possibly qualify for naturalization with a Form N-400. Our Monterrey immigration attorney can help you determine if you’re qualified to apply for citizenship. You may be eligible for naturalization if you:

  • Are age 18 years or older;
  • Have held a green card for five years;
  • Lived in the U.S. or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of residence for at least 3 months before filing the application;
  • Were physically present in the U.S. continuously for at least 30 months out of the 5 years;
  • Resided continuously in the United States from the application date for naturalization until the time of naturalization;
  • Are able to speak, write, and read English;
  • Have knowledge and understanding of U.S history and government; and
  • Have a good moral character and upholds the principles of the United States constitution.

You can also qualify for naturalization through:

  • Your spouse if they are a U.S. citizen and you held a green card for 3 years;
  • Your spouse’s service in the U.S. armed force if you meet eligibility requirements; or
  • Your parent if they’re a U.S. citizen.

Employment-Based Immigration

People with an employment-based (EB) visa are only living in the U.S. for a business-related purpose. The U.S. offers both permanent worker status or temporary status. EB visas are given on a preference system, which means some preferences will have a higher chance of obtaining a visa than others. Consult our Monterrey immigration attorney to find out which preference category you can apply for.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue permanent EB visas.

  • First Preference EB-1: People in this preference have extraordinary abilities in business science, athletics and education. It can also include researchers, professors, managers and multinational executives.
  • Second Preference EB-2: This preference is reserved for people with advances degrees or exceptional abilities in the sciences, businesses or arts.
  • Third Preference EB-3: People under this category are skilled workers, professionals and other workers.
  • Fourth Preferences EB-4: This category is for special immigrant classifications including religious workers, U.S. foreign service post employees, retired employees of international organizations and foreign minors who are wards in the U.S.
  • Fifth Preferences EB-5: This preference category is reserved for business investors who wish to start a new enterprise with 10 full-time U.S. workers.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue temporary EB visas.

  • E-1 – Treaty Traders and qualified employees;
  • E2 – Treaty investors and qualified employees;
  • E-2C – Long-term foreign investors;
  • E3 – Certain specialty occupation professionals from Australia;
  • H-1B1 – Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation from Singapore/Chile;
  • H-1B2 – Certain specialty occupations for the Department of Defense Cooperative Research and Development projects or Co-production projects;
  • H-1B3 – Certain fashion models of distinguished ability and merit;
  • H-1C – Registered nurses if the U.S. Department of Labor determined a health professional shortage;
  • H-2A – Seasonal or temporary workers;
  • H-2B – Non-agricultural workers;
  • H-3 – Trainees other than medical and academic professions;
  • I – Representatives of foreign film, press, radio or other media;
  • L-1A – Intracompany transferees for either managerial or executive positions;
  • L-1B – Intracompany transferees with specialized knowledge;
  • O-1 – People with extraordinary abilities in science, art, education, athletics, motion picture, TV production or business;
  • O-2 – People coming to the U.S to solely help an O-1 nonimmigrant;
  • P-1A – Internationally famous athletes;
  • P-1B – Internationally famous entertainers or members of an internationally recognized entertainment group;
  • P-2 – Individual performer or part of a group entering the U.S for a reciprocal exchange program (student exchange programs);
  • P-3 – Entertainers or artists who are coming to the U.S to perform, teach or coach under a culturally unique program;
  • Q-1 -People participating in an international cultural exchange program so they can attain practical training, employment and to learn U.S. history, culture and traditions;
  • R-1 – Religious workers; or
  • TN – Professionals from Mexico and Canada

Facing immigration concerns?

Whether you want to live in the US, get a US visa, bring your family, get employed, or legally stay in the country, our Shenandoah Immigration attorneys are here to help!

Family-Based Immigration in the U.S.

In 2017, the United States issued approximately 1,100,000 green cards. The majority of these issuances were family-based preferences. People who have family in the U.S. may be able to immigrate with a family-preference visa. Your family member may be able to sponsor you for lawful permanent residence status.

If you wish to pursue family-based immigration, your sponsor must fulfill some requirements.  To sponsor a family member, a person must file a I-130 or a Petition for an Alien Relative.  Your sponsor also must also have:

  • Proof of their status as a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen;
  • Evidence that you and your sponsor are family through a birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree or other important familial documents; and
  • They must also have proof of any relevant legal name change if necessary

Family-based immigration is similar to EB immigration because they both work on a preference system. The U.S issues green cards based on this preference system and each preference has its own requirements.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a family-based visas.

  • First Preference F-1 – Unmarried daughters and sons of U.S. citizens, and their minor children if any;
  • Second Preference F2A – Spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents;
  • Second Preference F2B – Unmarried daughters and sons who are at least 21 years old of lawful permanent residents.
  • Third Preference F3 – Married daughters and sons of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children; and
  • Fourth Preference F4 – Sisters and brothers of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children if the citizens are 21 years old or older.

Consulate General in Monterrey, Mexico

If you are currently living in Monterrey and wish to gain U.S. citizenship, you’ll probably be required to go to the consulate general. At the consulate you may be called into an interview, review your application or fill out additional forms. Call our Monterrey immigration attorney to get legal assistance in your immigration process.

You can locate the Monterrey general consulate at:

American Citizen Services

U.S. Consulate General Monterrey

Avenida Alfonso Reyes No. 150

Col. Valle Poniente

Santa Catarina, Nuevo León, Mexico 66196

From Mexico: 01-81-4160-5512

From the U.S: (844) 528-6611

Additional Resources

Consulate General Monterrey – Visit the official website for the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico to learn more about the consulate in the U.S. Access the site to learn more about the consulate services, the consul general William H. Duncan and visas.

Apply for Citizenship – Visit the official website of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to learn more about citizenship. Access the site to learn about naturalization, employment-based immigration, family-based immigration, and nonimmigrant visas.

Lawyer for Monterrey in The Woodlands, Texas

If you or someone you know is wishing to enter the U.S., it’s important you gain trusted legal representation. The U.S. immigration process is daunting and can take a long time. One error can lead to a denial and set you months back. Don’t pursue citizenship alone and call Luis F. Hess.

Luis F. Hess is a practiced immigration attorney with years of experience. He has evaluated and assisted numerous people achieve lawful permanent resident status. Start your immigration process today and call (281) 984-5294. We accept clients throughout the greater Montgomery County area including Conroe, Houston, Oak Ridge North and The Woodlands.