Mexico City

Mexico City Immigration Attorney

Mexico City is the capital and the most populous city in Mexico. In 2015, the General Census of Mexico reported there were 8,918,000 people residing in Mexico City. With such a booming population it can be hard to keep up economically. In some cases, Mexican citizens may immigrate to the United States to seek new opportunities. Our Texas-based Mexico City immigration attorney can help.

The United States immigration process can seem overwhelming. There are multiple paths to citizenship and you can obtain citizenship for a variety of reasons. Some immigrate to the U.S. for purely financial motives while others pursue citizenship to become permanent residents. No matter the circumstances, it’s important you gain trusted legal counsel. A skilled immigration attorney can overlook your application to ensure a smooth immigration process.

Attorney for Mexico City in The Woodlands, Texas

The United States allowed 1,127,167 people to become permanent residents in 2017. You can also immigrate to the U.S. if you have trusted legal representation. Contact Luis F. Hess today for a skilled Mexico City immigration attorney. Attorney Luis F. Hess can evaluate your status, application and help you uncover any available legal options.

If you or someone you know is wishing to enter the United States, contact Luis F. Hess, PLLC today. You can have a consultation with our local Mexico City immigration attorney by calling this number (281) 984-5294. Contact us today to start your immigration plan today. We also accept clients in Montgomery County including The Woodlands, Shenandoah, Oak Ridge North and Conroe.

Overview of the Immigration Process for Mexico City

United States Immigration Statistics for Mexico

Unfortunately, not everyone is permitted to enter the United States. The United States only issues a certain number of visas every year. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) states no more than 7 percent of visas can be issued to natives of an independent country in a fiscal year. If you’re applying for a visa, make sure to consult with a skilled Mexico City immigration attorney.

Listed below are some United States immigration statistics for Mexico in 2017.

  • 1,127,167 were granted lawful permanent resident status;
  • 170,581 people from Mexico were granted lawful permanent resident status;
  • 707,365 people were naturalized;
  • 118,559 people from Mexico were naturalized;
  • 77,643,267 people were admitted with a nonimmigrant visa; and
  • 19,326,562 people from Mexico were admitted with a nonimmigrant visa.

Facing immigration concerns?

Whether you want to live in the US, get a US visa, bring your family, get employed, or legally stay in the country, our Shenandoah Immigration attorneys are here to help!

Paths to Citizenship in the U.S.

The United States offers foreign nationals multiple paths to citizenship. You can apply for a nonimmigrant visa if you wish to stay in the United States temporarily. The U.S. provides various nonimmigrant visas including employment-based and family preference visas. Each has its own requirements and associated forms.

If you wish to become a lawful permanent resident, our Mexico City immigration attorney can help you pursue a green card. You must meet certain qualifications and fill out the necessary forms to gain a green card. Another way to pursue lawful permanent residence is through naturalization. If you have a spouse or parent who’s a citizen, you may be able to use them as your sponsor for naturalization.

It’s important you’re aware of the immigration procedures before pursuing nonimmigrant or permanent citizenship. Listed below are some more details on different types of immigration in the United States.

Green Cards in the United States

A common way to seek citizenship is through a green card. The United States offers several green card categories you can apply for based on your circumstances. Each category has its own procedures and forms that must be completed if you wish to gain a green card. Listed below are the eligible categories for a green card in the U.S.

  • You have a family member who is a U.S. citizen;
  • Your employment meets green card requirements;
  • You are a skilled worker or have other special professional status;
  • You are a part of a special employment category such as religious worker or international media members;
  • You were granted asylum status one year ago;
  • You were admitted as a refugee one year ago;
  • You are a human trafficking or crime victim with a certain visa;
  • You are a victim of abuse;
  • You were selected for a diversity visa in the Department of State’s diversity visa lottery;
  • You are eligible under the Cuban Adjustment Act;
  • You are eligible under the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act (HRIFA);
  • You were paroled into the U.S. as a Lautenberg parolee;
  • You are eligible for a green card under the Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act of 2000;
  • You were born in Canada and are 50 percent or more of American Indian in your blood;
  • You were born in the U.S. to a foreign diplomatic officer who was stationed in the U.S. when you were born;
  • You were stationed in the U.S as a high ranking official or foreign diplomat and you’re unable to return home; or
  • You can register for a green card if you have lived in the U.S continuously since January 1, 1972.

The steps you will take to apply for a green card depend on your circumstances. However, most people go through a similar general process. The first step is to have someone file an immigrant petition for you. This petition looks different based on what green card category you’re in.

If the USCIS approves your petition, you must file a green card with the United States Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS). In some cases, you must fill out a visa application instead with the U.S. Department of State. You will then attend a biometrics appointment where you must provide fingerprints, a valid photo, and signature.

The last step before citizenship is to attend an interview. The interview will be scheduled based on your situation and if you’re currently in the U.S. or not. Once the interview is completed and your application reviewed, a final decision will be made.

Facing immigration concerns?

Whether you want to live in the US, get a US visa, bring your family, get employed, or legally stay in the country, our Shenandoah Immigration attorneys are here to help!

Citizenship Through Naturalization in the U.S.

Another common route to citizenship is through naturalization. Living in the United States for a certain period of time or having family that lives in the U.S can give you a path to citizenship. If you’ve lived in the U.S. for at least five years and meet the following requirements, you may qualify for naturalization.

  • Be at least 18 years old during filing;
  • Hold a green card for at least 5 years;
  • Lived in the U.S. or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of residence for at least 3 months before the filing date;
  • Was physically present in the U.S for at least 30 months out of the 5 years;
  • Resided continuously in the U.S from the application date for naturalization;
  • Can speak, write, and read English and has knowledge of U.S. history and government;
  • Is of good moral character and upholds the principles of the United States constitution

If you wish to seek naturalization, you must file a Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. You can also gain naturalization status through:

  • Your spouse if they’re a U.S. citizen and you’ve been a green card holder for 3 years;
  • Your service in the U.S. armed forces and meet eligibility requirements; or
  • Your parent if they are a U.S. citizen.

Employment-Based Immigration

Some foreign nationals only wish to enter the U.S. for a work-related purpose. The purpose of an employment-based visa isn’t to gain lawful permanent residence, but to work freely in the United States. You apply for an employment-based visa on a preference system which includes treaty traders, investors, temporary workers, and more. Each preference category has its own forms and procedures.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue an immigrant visa.

  • First Preference EB-1 – This category is reserved for people with extraordinary abilities in education, business, science or athletics. It also includes professors, researchers, multinational executives and managers.
  • Second Preference EB-2 – This preference is for professions who require advance degrees or exceptional ability in the arts, sciences or business.
  • Third Preference EB3 – This category is for skilled workers, professionals and other workers.
  • Fourth Preference EB-4 – Special immigrants can be found under EB-4 which include retired employees of international organizations, religious workers, U.S. foreign service post employees, foreign minors who are wards of courts in the U.S and others.
  • Fifth Preference EB-5 – This category is reserved for certain business investors in a new commercial enterprise with at least 10 full-time U.S. workers.

U.S. Embassy in Mexico City

If you currently live in Mexico City and wish to pursue U.S. citizenship, it’s likely you’ll need to visit your local U.S. embassy. Here you may be called into an interview or gain additional forms. You can find the U.S. embassy in Mexico City at:

Paseo de la Reforma 305

Colonia Cuauhtemoc

06500 Mexico, D.F

From Mexico:

Phone: ( 01-55 ) 5080-2000

Fax: (01-55) 5080-2005

From the U.S.:



Additional Resources

Apply for Citizenship – Visit the official website for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to find more information on how to apply for citizenship. Access the necessary forms, learn more about the process and get answers to frequently asked questions.

Visas – Visit the official website for the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico to learn more about immigrant and nonimmigrant visas. Gain access to a directory of visa categories, important visa forms, and other resources may help you.

Lawyer for Mexico City in Montgomery County, Texas

If you or someone you know is wishing to pursue citizenship, it’s imperative you contact an experienced immigration attorney. The United States immigration process is incredibly detailed. One mistake can set you back months in the immigration process.

Call Luis F. Hess now at (281) 984-5294 to schedule a consultation. He has assisted numerous people with their visa applications. He can spot any mistakes, collect important information and help you navigate the immigration process. We help immigrants from Mexico and clients throughout The Woodlands including Houston, Conroe, Oak Ridge North and Panorama Village.