Guadalajara, Mexico

Guadalajara is a bustling capital located in the Mexican state of Jalisco. It’s considered to be Mexico’s second most populous municipality with approximately 1,460,000 inhabitants. In addition, Guadalajara is one of the most densely populated areas in Mexico due to its strong business and economic center. If you’re considering immigrating to the US, our Guadalajara immigration attorney can help.

Guadalajara’s dense population and competitive economy can cause issues for some. It can be hard to gain employment, or you may just want to start a new life. Perhaps your business is booming and you’re looking to expand into the United States. No matter the circumstances, it could be beneficial for you to look into the U.S. immigration process. The United States offers visa options for both permanent immigrants and temporary immigrants.

If you or someone you know is wishing to immigrate to the United States, it’s imperative you contact an experienced Guadalajara immigration attorney.

Attorney for Guadalajara in The Woodlands, Texas

In 2017, the United States granted approximately 1 million people lawful permanent resident status. If you want to join this statistic, it’s essential you contact a practiced Guadalajara immigration attorney. A skilled attorney can overlook your applications, locate any errors and give you trusted legal counsel if necessary.

Contact Luis F. Hess today to speak to Luis F. Hess, an experienced immigration attorney. Luis F. Hess is passionate about immigration law and can help you achieve your desired status. Call today at (281) 984-5294 to schedule a consultation. Luis F. Hess, PLLC accepts clients throughout the greater Montgomery County area including Oak Ridge North, Conroe, Houston and Shenandoah.

Overview of the U.S. Immigration Process for Guadalajara

United States Immigration Statistics for Mexico

The United States doesn’t allow every visa applicant entry into the country. Only a certain amount of people are issued employment-based or family-preference visas in the United States every fiscal year. The U.S. has per-country limits which restrict the number of visas given annually. These limits are based on the number of available visas that year.

Listed below are some United States immigration statistics for Mexico in 2017.

  • 170,581 people from Mexico were granted lawful permanent resident status
  • 1,127,167 were granted lawful permanent resident status;
  • 118,559 people from Mexico were naturalized;
  • 707,365 people were naturalized;
  • 19,326,562 people from Mexico were admitted with a nonimmigrant visa; and
  • 77,643,267 people were admitted with a nonimmigrant visa.

If you need assistance in your immigration journey, our Guadalajara immigration attorney can help.

Facing immigration concerns?

Whether you want to live in the US, get a US visa, bring your family, get employed, or legally stay in the country, our Shenandoah Immigration attorneys are here to help!


Naturalization Citizenship in the U.S.

A common way to gain citizenship in the U.S. is through naturalization. If you have lived in the United States for five years or more, you could qualify for a naturalization. You must meet certain requirements and file a Form N-400 with the United States Citizenship Immigration and Services (USCIS) to qualify. You’re eligible for naturalization if you:

  • Are 18 years old or older:
  • Have been a green card holder for five years;
  • Resided in a U.S. or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of residence for at least 3 months prior to filing your application;
  • Were physically present in the United States continuously for at least 30 months out of your 5-year stay;
  • Lived uninterruptedly in the United States from the application date of naturalization up until the time of naturalization;
  • Have the ability to speak, read or write English;
  • Have an understanding and knowledge of U.S. history and government; and
  • Are of good moral character while upholding the principles outlined in the U.S. constitution.

Naturalization can also happen through spouses or parents. You can qualify for naturalization through: 

  • Your spouse if they’re a U.S. citizen and you have held a green card for 3 years;
  • Your spouse if they are in the U.S. armed forces; and
  • Your parent if they’re a U.S. citizen.

Consult our Guadalajara immigration attorney to find out if you’re qualified to apply for US citizenship and naturalization.

Employment-Based Immigration

The United States offers employment-based visas for people who wish to immigrate for a business-related reason. USCIS allows you to apply as a permanent worker status or for temporary status through a preference system. Your chances of receiving a visa heavily depend on the preference you qualify for.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a permanent EB visas.

  • Fifth Preference (EB-5) – Investors who want to start new commercial enterprises must file an EB-5 and have 10 full-time U.S. workers employed.
  • Fourth Preference (EB-4) – EB-4 visas are for special immigrant classifications such as U.S. foreign service post employees, foreign minors who are wards of the U.S and religious workers.
  • Third Preference (EB-3) – Skilled workers, professionals and other workers classify for EB-3.
  • Second Preference (EB-2) – People who have advanced degrees or exceptional abilities in science, business or art qualify for EB-2.
  • First Preference (EB-1) – This category is for people with extraordinary abilities in science, athletics, education or business. It can include managers, professors, researchers, multinational executives and managers.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue temporary EB visas. Speak with a Guadalajara immigration attorney to determine if you qualify for these categories.

  • E-1 – Treaty Traders and qualified employees;
  • E2 – Treaty investors and qualified employees;
  • E-2C – Long-term foreign investors;
  • E3 – Certain specialty occupation professionals from Australia;
  • H-1B1 – Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation from Singapore/Chile;
  • H-1B2 – Certain specialty occupations for the Department of Defense Cooperative Research and Development projects or Co-production projects;
  • H-1B3 – Certain fashion models of distinguished ability and merit;
  • H-1C – Registered nurses if the U.S. Department of Labor determined a health professional shortage;
  • H-2A – Seasonal or temporary workers;
  • H-2B – Non-agricultural workers;
  • H-3 – Trainees other than medical and academic professions;
  • I – Representatives of foreign film, press, radio or other media;
  • L-1A – Intracompany transferees for either managerial or executive positions;
  • L-1B – Intracompany transferees with specialized knowledge;
  • O-1 – People with extraordinary abilities in science, art, education, athletics, motion picture, TV production or business;
  • O-2 – People coming to the U.S to solely help an O-1 nonimmigrant;
  • P-1A – Internationally famous athletes;
  • P-1B – Internationally famous entertainers or members of an internationally recognized entertainment group;
  • P-2 – Individual performer or part of a group entering the U.S for a reciprocal exchange program (student exchange programs);
  • P-3 – Entertainers or artists who are coming to the U.S to perform, teach or coach under a culturally unique program;
  • Q-1 -People participating in an international cultural exchange program so they can attain practical training, employment and to learn U.S. history, culture and traditions;
  • R-1 – Religious workers; or
  • TN – Professionals from Mexico and Canada

Facing immigration concerns?

Whether you want to live in the US, get a US visa, bring your family, get employed, or legally stay in the country, our Shenandoah Immigration attorneys are here to help!


Family-Based Immigration in the U.S.

The United States also issues visas based on a family-preference system. Family-based immigration is when another person sponsors you for citizenship. You must have family in the U.S. to be eligible. Additionally, you must have proof you’re related to them in some way.

If you wish to pursue a family-based visa, then your sponsor also must be eligible. Your sponsor must file an I-130, or a Petition for Alien Relative. In the form your sponsor must have the following:

  • Proof they’re a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen;
  • Evidence you’re both family such as a birth certificate or marriage license; and
  • Proof of any relevant legal name change if necessary.

Listed below are the different preferences used to issue a family-based visas. Talk to a Guadalajara immigration attorney to find out the eligibility requirements for these preference categories.

  • First Preference F-1 – Unmarried daughters and sons of U.S. citizens, and their minor children if any;
  • Second Preference F2A – Spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents;
  • Second Preference F2B – Unmarried daughters and sons who are at least 21 years old of lawful permanent residents.
  • Third Preference F3 – Married daughters and sons of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children; and
  • Fourth Preference F4 – Sisters and brothers of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children if the citizens are 21 years old or older.

Consulate General in Guadalajara, Mexico

Guadalajara doesn’t have a U.S embassy in their city limits. However, they do have a U.S. Consulate General which handles similar services. You can apply for a nonimmigrant visa at the Consulate. In addition, it’s likely you’ll be required to attend a visa interview at the consulate.

You can locate Guadalajara’s Consulate General at:
150 Avenida Alfonso Reyes
66196 Santa Catarina, N.L Mexico
From Mexico: 01-81-8047-31000
From the U.S: 011-52-81-8047-3100

Additional Resources

Consulate General Guadalajara – Visit the official website of the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico to learn more about U.S. immigration. Find more information surrounding visas, U.S. citizen services, how to prepare for a visa interview and more.

Apply for Citizenship – Visit the official website for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to find more information surrounding citizenship. Access the site to learn more naturalization, green card eligibility, and the associated forms and fees.

Lawyer for Guadalajara in The Woodlands, Texas

If you or someone you know is wishing to pursue a green card, it’s crucial that you contact a skilled Guadalajara immigration attorney. Hiring an attorney can significantly increase your chances of obtaining your desired citizenship status.

Contact Luis F. Hess for a skilled immigration attorney. He understands the ins and outs of the U.S. immigration process. With his skills and resources Luis F. Hess can guide you through this daunting process. Call us now at (281) 984-5294 for a consultation. Luis F. Hess, PLLC accepts clients throughout The Woodlands including Panorama Village, Conroe, Houston and Oak Ridge North.