Is U.S. Citizenship Eligible Through Your Parents?

To become eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship through naturalization, it typically takes five years for an adult (a person 18 years or older) to complete the process. Our Shenandoah attorney for naturalization will handle your immigration case and guide you through the process to ensure completion without delay.

The law provides for several different ways to become a U.S. citizen. Of course, the most common way to become a U.S. Citizen is to be born on U.S. soil, on U.S. territory, or on a U.S. military base in another country. Another way of becoming a U.S. Citizen is to be born to a U.S. citizen parent and apply for naturalization (often called “derived” or “acquired” citizenship). Finally, you can become a U.S. citizen if you marry a U.S. citizen.

The spouse of a U.S. citizen qualifies for naturalization under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if the spouse meets all of the eligibility requirements, including:

  • the spouse has been a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least three (3) years; and
  • the spouse has been living in a marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse during such time.

In some cases, the spouse of a U.S. citizen employed abroad may qualify for naturalization regardless of their time as permanent residents under Section 319(b) of the INA.

Becoming a U.S. Citizen Through Naturalization

Becoming a U.S. citizen through nationalization is different for everyone. Our Houston attorney for naturalization can help determine what process applies to you on your status. For example, a person with one U.S. citizen parent but not a U.S. citizen will have a different process than an individual who is a legal permanent resident.

Legal permanent resident: an applicant must be at least 18 years old and have been a permanent resident for at least five years. The permanent resident must have taken trips for up to six months within those five years. Our Houston immigration attorney and lawyers for naturalization can help address any legal permanent residency issues you are facing.

Spouses of U.S. citizens: a person applying for citizenship through marriage must be married when they submit the application and have lived with the same U.S. citizen for the past three years. The applicant’s spouse must have been a U.S. citizen for three years. The applicant must have been a permanent resident for three years and have lived in the U.S. for three years without any trips that lasted longer than six months. Our attorney for naturalization from Houston, TX, has handled similar cases and can help you apply for marriage-based citizenship.

Member of the U.S. Armed Forces: an applicant must be 18 years old and have served for at least one year. The applicant must have permanent resident status on the day of the naturalization interview. If the applicant served for less than a year or was discharged more than six months before the filing date, they must have been a legal permanent resident for five years when they filed. In this instance, the applicant must have also had five years without trips longer than six months, not including any military deployments. Our immigration attorney for The Woodlands will gladly entertain any questions you have about permanent residency.

Attorney for Naturalization and Citizenship in Texas

Immigration laws that apply to the right to live and work in the United States are complicated. Our Houston immigration attorneys in Shenandoah, Texas, help clients figure out the best way to become U.S. citizens for any case in The Woodlands or surrounding areas.

Luis F. Hess is an experienced immigration attorney serving clients throughout Montgomery County and Harris County. Our naturalization attorney can answer your questions about your eligibility for citizenship and is committed to helping you achieve your full immigration goals. Call (281) 984-5294 today.