Do You Need an H-4 Dependent Visa? Here’s What You Need to Know.

Spouses and dependent children of workers with type H visas are often eligible to receive an H-4 dependent visa to enter and live in the United States. Some H-4 visa holders can also apply for work authorization as well.

U.S. immigration authorities recommend that family members seeking a dependent H-4 visa apply at the same time that the worker is applying for the H visa, if possible. That means it is important to know early on how to demonstrate your eligibility. To avoid mistakes that could cause delay or denial of an H-4 visa application, many people choose to work with an experienced immigration attorney.

At Luis F. Hess, PLLC, we understand how important it is to keep your family together. We work hard to help clients obtain the visas that fit their individual needs with the fewest possible delays.

Who is Eligible for an H-4 Visa and Work Authorization?

To receive an H-4 dependent visa, you must be either the spouse or the child of someone who already has or is applying for one of the type H temporary visas to work in the U.S. Children must be unmarried and under the age of 21 to apply.

Applicable H visa categories include H1-B visas for workers in specialty occupations that require a specific degree, H-2A and H-2B visas for temporary agricultural and nonagricultural workers, and H-3 visas for individuals coming to the U.S. for training or certain education.
Click here to learn more.