Do You Need to Apply for an F-1 Student Visa? We Can Help.

An F-1 student visa offers international students and their families the opportunity to live in the United States legally while studying at many different types of approved academic facilities. Some students may be eligible to work at certain jobs while in the U.S. on an F-1 visa as well.

To receive an F-1 visa, applicants must be prepared to demonstrate that they meet the requirements. Because an F-1 visa is a temporary, nonimmigrant visa, applicants must show that they have connections to their home country and an intention to return. Any suggestion that a student visa is being used fraudulently could cause authorities to deny the application. To avoid problems, many visa applicants engage an experienced attorney to assist in the application process or representation if a problem arises.

The experienced immigration lawyers at Luis F. Hess, PLLC know how to help applicants obtain visas while avoiding common pitfalls that can cause delays or denials. We work hard to ensure that our clients achieve their goals.

Eligibility for an F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa is for students undertaking academic study in the U.S. Students who want to come to the U.S. to study through a non-academic vocational program apply for a different type of visa. To qualify for an F-1 visa, an applicant must:

  • Live outside the U.S. and maintain significant ties to the home country
  • Speak English well or be enrolled in English language courses
  • Have proof of monetary support sufficient to pay for study in the U.S.
  • Enroll as a full-time student
  • Be accepted into a program at an academic institution approved by Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). Approved schools include not only colleges, but primary and secondary schools, seminaries, and other institutions.

In addition, as noted above, the student applicant must demonstrate connections to the home country that establish an intent to return after studies are completed.Click here to learn more.