Are You a Green Card Holder Looking for Permanent Residency for Your Spouse?

Marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) with a green card gives you the opportunity to obtain your own green card to live and work in the U.S. While it seems like the process of obtaining a green card as a spouse should be easy and straightforward, unfortunately, that is rarely the case.

Immigration officials are often suspicious that the relationships supporting a marriage green card application are a sham. If officials decide that you failed to provide adequate evidence to support the legitimacy of your marriage, your application could be delayed or denied. Any hint of fraud could make it very difficult for you to obtain a visa in the future.

To prevent this type of problem, many couples work with an experienced immigration lawyer when applying for a green card. At the law office of Luis F. Hess, PLLC, we know the documentation that officials are looking for, and can guide you through the process to avoid costly mistakes and get a green card without unnecessary delays.

Proving Your Marriage is Legal and Bona Fide

You must be legally married in a ceremony recognized as valid by the government of the country where the wedding took place. A common law marriage may be recognized if you can produce evidence to show that it meets the legal requirements for the state or country where you lived as a married couple. Both spouses must have been legally eligible to marry, so if either of you was married previously, you will need evidence of a valid divorce or death of the first spouse.

Click here to learn more.